Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Eat Me Pie

Enough is enough.  It's time for chocolate, people.  I love to eat cacao in the form of springform creations and TH worships me when I feed him a sweet layered dessert, so it was time to give Vivian a workout.  Here's what happened the other night after a glass of sangria.

I greased a 6-inch springform with coconut oil and then patted in the crust recipe linked below.  (I really like this recipe because it is yummy and fairly light.

Pure 2 Raw's Chocolate Coconut Crust



On top of the crust I added a layer of sliced strawberries,



followed by a luscious:

Rich Chocolate Ganache
1 cup cacao
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup melted coconut oil
Blend above ingredients until smooth, then pour on top of the strawberries and freeze.



The next layer was a whipped topping posted on Sunny Raw Kitchen mixed with caramel sauce.  
For the linked whipped topping recipe I substituted:
  • macadamia nuts for cashews
  • coconut nectar for agave
  • sunflower lecithin for soy lecithin
(I forgot to take a picture of this layer). I let this topping sit overnight in the fridge, and then spread a thick layer of it on top of the ganache. The next layer was:   

Yum Caramel Sauce
5 dates, soaked + soak water (place dates in a one cup measuring cup and add water to brim)
1 cup raw almond butter
1/4 cup coconut nectar (or sweetener of choice)
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1/8 cup melted coconut oil (added after everything else has blended)



After that came Chocolate Buckwheat Crunchies from Sweetly Raw's Ulimate Ice Cream Cake e-book.  



To top everything off I added another layer of strawberries, and another layer of cream swirled with a bit of caramel.  I froze the pie overnight, and learned that you should let it thaw quite a while before serving so the whipped topping regains its creamy consistency.




We had friends from Switzerland (of Swiss chocolate fame) staying with us and they loved it! It actually didn't last very long. 

I hope you are having a lovely August!  I have been quite busy with school preparations, guests, hiking, etc, and expect more of the same in the future.  I think my blogging will be set aside until we slide into our normal winter routine.

Enjoy the end of summer!  

6 comments:

  1. holy yum! that looks so delicious. it's been way too long since i made a raw pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta be kidding me...I think this is like the 10th time I have said that about one of your amazing recipes!!! Tha t cake is unreal.
    I still have no Vivian! Hoping to get one for my B-day in Oct.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee lovely lady this looks pretty decadent. I am bookmarking it for future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you're doing well! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that cake looks AMAZING!! I almost licked my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you still blogging???
    Miss your posts.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete