Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bananas Done Right

Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day!  We are so romantic around these parts.  My gift to TH was splitting and stacking a load of wood.  He did the dishes without whining about how hard it was.  What a lovely evening.  :)

I had a hankering for some curry the other day, and threw together a little curry pate.  It was really easy to make, and was quite nice in lettuce wraps with sliced veggies.



Curry Pate
2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons raw honey or agave
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
cayenne to taste 

Place all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.


The Banana Cream Pie from Sweet Gratitude I mentioned the other night is incredible.  It was pretty easy to put together, and is nut and cacao free (aside from the extra chocolate sauce I swirled on top of the coconut cream).  

crust + layer of sliced bananas
bubbly banana filling


chocolate and caramel swirls


Two pieces of advice: 

1.  Read the entire pie recipe before getting started.  I didn't notice the second page warned against using brownish bananas.  Ripe bananas taste fine (probably better), but the color is not very appetizing.

2.  Use a lot of coconut oil to grease the pie pan.  I used a little and the lovely crust refused to unstick itself from the pan.  


Question:  Did you celebrate Valentine's Day?  







4 comments:

  1. love the swirls! didn't celebrate - we treat everyday like vday in my house. ok, most days.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That swirl is just stunning. I love curry too. Love the picture of you splitting and stacking wood--I suck at that, but Phil loves to do it, so I leave it to him...

    We had a little V-day celebration, sort of, just took some time out to enjoy each other and the sunshine...
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kelli

    Thank, Kelli! Love your v-day philosophy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so sweet, Ela. I used to hate splitting wood, but I think I kind of love it now. It gives me such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and it's great exercise.

    I can't wait until it's light when I get home from work and we can take an evening walk in the sun! We're gaining 6 minutes a day, so it shouldn't take too long.

    ReplyDelete