One of my favorite things about eating raw is drinking a giant breakfast smoothie each morning. I had no problem giving up coffee when I began starting my day with a glass of green energy. Smoothies are great because you can use whatever produce you have available. Blend a mix of the following for gorgeous green goodness:
- Fruit, fresh or frozen. The only fruit I haven't enjoyed in a smoothie is kiwi- it makes my tongue feel furry.
- Leafy greens. I like spinach, kale and rainbow chard. While visiting my parents this summer I stuffed Vivian full of chickweed from their garden. (I liked it, but my sister's boyfriend said the smoothie tasted like mowing the lawn.)
- A healthy fat to increase nutrient absorption. I use coconut oil, but avocado, almond butter, flaxseed, and hemp seed are all delish as well.
- Extras- only if you are looking to take your smoothie to a whole 'nother level:
- spirulina- blue-green algae high in B 12
- raw protein powder (I love Sun Warrior-cool name, right?)
- maca- a powdered Peruvian root that tastes yummy and is said to increase, ahem...energy and stamina in a certain room of your house that contains a bed
- There are endless supplements you can add to your smoothie, but keep it simple at first!
My smoothie this morning was packed with frozen bananas (I always have cut-up, ripe nanners in the freezer), pears, an apple and pomegranate.
Giant dinner salad (spinach, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, leftover marinated veggies and olives. Yum.
Of course a little dessert was necessary. I had a few Super Caramel Chocolate Tarts from Delightfully Raw hiding out in the freezer.