Monday, November 15, 2010

Sauekraut? Ya, bitte!

Maybe it's the German in me, but I've always loved a good sauerkraut.  I remember going to Costco in college and buying a hot dog (hold the hot dog) and filling the empty bun with kraut and ketchup.  Do you know about the benefits of eating fermented foods?  Fermenting helps break down nutrients in a food so it is more easily digested.  Helpful probiotics are present in fermented foods, and the fermentation process also results in the creation of new nutrients.  I often make my own sauerkraut (for this batch I used a recipe from Raw Food, Fast Food by Phillip McCluskey):

Spicy Sauerkraut


In tonight's salad I used a little Bubbies sauerkraut.

I also made quick and delicious Brussel sprouts.  (Brussels are one of the few veggies I don't eat raw.)  I started with the giant stalk Full Circle Farm sent to us.  I cut off the sprouts, tossed them in EVOO and sea salt and baked them at 400 until the outsides were light brown and crispy.  I know I say this about everything, but these are soooo good.  

healthy popcorn

Dessert tonight is chocolate.  
1.  Hand mix a blob of almond butter with a little sea salt, agave, vanilla and dried coconut.  
2.  Make a chocolate coating with equal parts raw cacao, melted coconut butter, and agave or maple syrup.  Add a dash of vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. 
3.  Stick a little of the almond butter mixture into a candy mold and cover with the chocolate.  Or roll the almond butter into a ball and dip into the chocolate. 
4.  Put in the fridge to harden.
5.  Think about how lucky you are to be enjoying chocolate for dessert!  




Question:  Has anyone tried making raw coconut yogurt?  I'm thinking about ordering some probiotics to try it out.  Any suggestions?



0 comments:

Post a Comment